A wise person once said, “Power is gained by sharing knowledge, not hoarding it.”
The Defender is looking for writers for an upcoming book to be published in conjunction with the State of Black Women Summit to be held Jan. 31 through Feb. 1, 2020, at the George R. Brown Convention Center.
We envision the book, Sister Wisdom, to be a powerful, inspiring collection of short stories, which focus on ‘The Power of Us’ or ‘Sister Wisdom’ and it will be unveiled and available for purchase at the Summit.
Story ideas include powerful testimonies on overcoming adversity, business success tips, helping others in the community, battling illness, the joys and challenges of parenting, marriage or relationship advice, or an encouraging word that you live by or that gets you through.
Everyone has a story to tell that may be just the spark someone needs to courageously take their next step in life.
“If you’ve been thinking about writing, are an established writer, or just want to try your hand, this is the perfect opportunity to share your work with the world,” said Defender Managing Editor, ReShonda Tate Billingsley. “We’re looking for inspirational stories and essays that focus on the Power of Us.”
The deadline to submit an entry is Saturday, Nov. 30, and the details follow:
- Must be ORIGINAL work between 500-1,500 words
- Non-paid, but extensive promotion and exposure of the book
- All authors will receive three complimentary copies. Remaining copies may be purchased at 50% off of list price
- All stories must center around the theme: ‘The Power of Us’ or Sister Wisdom
- All stories should have a title and byline at the top, be written in Microsoft Word, double-spaced, indented paragraphs, 12 pt. Courier New (*PDF ﬁles will NOT be accepted)
- Only 15-20 submissions will be selected
- Submissions should be sent to [email protected]
- Sister Wisdom will be available at all retailers in both print and digital formats (Amazon, BN.com, Google, Kobo, etc).
- Book proceeds will fund Barbara Jordan Institute of Policy at Texas Southern University student scholarships