Despite last year’s news of some changes coming to his radio show and talk show, Steve Harvey is forging ahead with a new gig in the coming weeks.
The comedian is set to host the 8th Annual NFL Honors at Atlanta’s Fox Theatre in a Feb. 2 telecast on CBS, and he announced it on his Instagram page Monday.
“Who’s ready for some football? Join me on Saturday, February 2 at 9pm ET/PT on CBS for the @nfl Honors. We’re honoring the NFL’s best players, performances and plays from the 2018 season. You don’t want to miss this. #NFLHonors #NFL,” Harvey wrote Jan. 14 in the caption accompanying a promo image for the event.
The newest hosting gig, which follows Harvey hosting Fox’s New Year’s Eve special and the 2018 Miss Universe pageant, comes after a year which signaled changes for some of the star’s longest-running programs.
In September, Dallas’ KRNB confirmed the comic’s radio program, “The Steve Harvey Morning Show,” was pulled from its airwaves at the end of August. After being syndicated on the station since 2006, it was replaced by Claudia Jordan’s program, “Morning Rush.”
Later that month, news emerged that more changes were underway for Harvey on the small screen. His daytime talk show “Steve” would be cut from 11 NBC markets in fall 2019 as the network tests Kelly Clarkson’s new talk show. Despite the specification that the show was only going to be removed from select NBC stations, Harvey’s representatives were forced to clarify that the show would not be canceled altogether. It will still run as the lead-in to “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” in some NBC markets, while in other markets “Steve” is slated to continue on stations owned by other media companies, such as Fox and Cox Communications, to name a few.
Recently, Harvey spoke out about the changes to his show, saying that he’s not worried about his future.
“They gon’ close the door on me in 2019,” Harvey said on his morning radio show Jan. 8. “All that means for me is God has another door for me to open. These people that make these decisions at these networks and stuff, they don’t control my life. They control that little piece of section over there. I got the rest of ’em. God in charge of me.”
A day later, while headlining the Variety Entertainment Summit, he said he wasn’t sure if NBC would be severing ties with his show altogether. He also took issue with NBC not touching base with him last year about plans to pull “Steve” from select markets.
“I just thought that you’re supposed to just talk to people and just go, ‘Look, you’ve been good business for us. This is what we’re thinking of doing, are you OK with that?’” he said. “No, you just don’t put something in the paper and say, ‘I’m just going to make this move right here,’ because it’s crazy. My show ‘Steve’ is the only show in the last seven years in syndication that has stuck.”