A San Antonio woman is suing Popeyes after she claimed that she found flesh-eating screwworms in her rice and beans.
Karen Goode is suing the restaurant chain for $1 million after she allegedly unknowingly ingested the screwworms, at which point the parasites entered her digestive tract and laid their eggs in the lining of her small intestine. According to the lawsuit, the parasites then “infested Plaintiff’s body and began to eat Plaintiff alive from the inside-out.”
Goode claimed that she was “ravaged by E.coli and Helicobacter Pylori bacteria infection, infestation of flesh eating screwworms into her body, injury to her neck, digestive track, shoulders and arm’ according to the complaint.”
According to her lawyer, Patrick J. Stolmeier, Goode became so ill that she could not work and therefore lost her business, home, and vehicles.
Screwworms are known to infect warm-blooded animals, including humans, though human cases are rare. However, it is fatal if left untreated.