You came through Hurricane Harvey safe and sound, and maybe even without storm damage to your property. You should be thrilled. But why doesn’t it quite seem that way?
Survivor guilt is a particular condition that may develop in people who have survived a life-threatening or traumatic situation. This is more likely to occur in children and adolescents.
Symptoms may include:
- Difficulty sleeping
- Flashbacks to the event
- Loss of motivation
- Thoughts about the meaning of life
How to cope:
- Recognize these feelings are common and part of grief process
- Regular exercise, or relaxing activities
- Healthy diet
- Plenty of rest
- Support by others who shared the experience
- In severe cases, support of therapist or counselor may be advised