The application for the Free/Reduced Price Meals program is now open, and families can apply through the SchoolCafe app. The Free/Reduced Price Meals program offers healthy breakfast and lunch meals to eligible students at no or reduced costs to families.
Families who qualified for the program in the 2019-20 school year will need to reapply in order to retain their student’s benefits.
The District will use the following criteria to determine a student’s eligibility:
- Household income that is at or below the income eligibility levels, or
- Households receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservation (FDPIR), or
- Children with the status as a foster child, homeless, runaway, migrant farm worker or displaced by a declared disaster, or enrolled in Head Start.
When applying, parents will need to have the following information:
- Names of all household members
- Amount, frequency and source of current income for each household member
- Last four digits of the parent’s or guardian’s social security number
- Signature of an adult household member attesting that the information provided is correct
Families may apply at any time during the school year, should their household circumstances change, including the loss of a job, a decrease in household income or the increase in household size.
FBISD is working to identify students who may qualify under categorical or program eligibility, and these households will be notified of their children’s eligibility status. They will not need to complete a Free/Reduced Price Meals application. Any household that does not receive a letter and feels that it should have can call the FBISD Child Nutrition Department at (281) 634-1855 or at [email protected].