Children’s Museum Houston (CMH) is again gathering to celebrate the message and mission of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. this Saturday, Jan. 14 with a “Power of Dreams with Peace” march and more at CMH (1500 Binz St., Houston, TX 77004) beginning at noon with additional activities beginning at 11 a.m.
The museum wants children and all participants to be reminded that MLK dreamed for us to live in a world where we would “not be judged by the color of our skin, but by the content of our character.” To that end, CMH will not only have attending youth participate in the “peace” march, they will also experience uplifting musical performances, a re-enacted “I Have a Dream” speech and award ceremony, where Dr. Polly Sparks Turner will receive the “Caryakid Award.”
The event is sponsored by Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee in partnership with the Defender Network, with support from the Center for Civil & Public Policy Improvement.
The festivities are as follows:
Beginning at 11 a.m. at Main Entrance:
- African Heritage Food Demo: Join Prairie View A&M in celebrating African gastronomy legacy.
Beginning at noon in Brown Auditorium:
- Violin Performance: International violinist Jamie Perry will pull at our heartstrings.
- Musical Medley: Dr. Kiana Williams will enlighten with “Lift Every Voice and Sing” rendition.
- Inspirational Words: Join Houston Defender Associate Editor Aswad Walker as he draws meaning and significance to the day.
- Caryakid Award: Museum’s highest honor to be presented to Dr. Polly Sparks Turner.
- Peace March Led by Kid’s Committee: Exercise your right in celebration of Civil Rights.
- “I Have a Dream:” Hear the powerful speech in a reenactment by Steve Scott.
- Praise Dancers: Catch an emotional dance performance by Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church.
- Dream Clouds: Share your dreams for changing the world at Junktion.
- Peace Doves: Make a world symbol of peace and what it means to you at Junktion.
- Star Promise: Take the pledge to be kind and fair to everyone at Junktion.
The museum will be open from10 a.m. – 6 p.m. with a special admission for MLK Day of $5 per person. For more information and Play Safe guidelines, visit www.cmhouston.org or call (713) 522-1138.