As the holiday shopping season approaches, Houston Police Federal Credit Union is offering tips to maximize consumer safety. As a non-profit organization that manages the financial resources of active and retired Houston Police Officers, Houston Police Department Civilian Employees and their families, cardholder safety and security are priorities for the Credit Union.
“The most important safety tip for debit cardholders is to be aware of your surroundings before using a payment terminal or ATM,” said Rachel Miranda, Vice President of Risk with Houston Police Federal Credit Union. “Even if nobody is around, we recommend shielding the keyboard when asked to enter a PIN, and put your cash, card and receipt away immediately.”
Mrs. Miranda recommends treating your PIN like it is the key to your checking or savings account – because it is. Don’t write your PIN down or let anyone else enter your PIN. Also, never give your PIN over the telephone.
Other top cardholder tips for a safe holiday shopping season include:
• Report any lost or stolen cards to the card issuers immediately.
• Regularly log into your account online to keep tabs on your account activity. If you notice anything questionable, report it right away.
• Consider using a password manager to generate more — and better — passwords. Don’t be among the 55 percent of consumers who use the same username and password for all of their online relationships.
• When buying online, use a wired network. Wireless networks expose you to greater vulnerability, especially if they are public.
To provide a higher level of security, Houston Police Federal Credit Union will soon offer debit cards with chip technology. Chip-enabled debit cards feature an embedded microchip that adds a new layer of protection against unauthorized use and counterfeiting. The issuance of the new chip-enabled debit cards is expected to be complete by Summer 2017.
Houston Police Federal Credit Union’s one-time membership fee is $0.25 and a minimum deposit can be as little as $5. To learn about membership eligibility, visit https://www.hpfcu.org/join.html.
– Like HPFCU: https://www.facebook.com/HoustonPoliceFCU
– Connect with HPFCU: https://www.linkedin.com/company/houston-police-federal-credit-union
– Review HPFCU: http://www.yelp.com/biz/houston-police-federal-credit-union-houston
About Houston Police Federal Credit Union
Houston Police Federal Credit Union was established in 1937 as a non-profit organization to serve Houston’s Finest – the men and women in the City of Houston law enforcement profession, and their families – with a commitment to the needs of members and prudent management of their financial resources. Today, Houston Police Federal Credit Union is rated by DepositAccounts.com as one of America’s healthiest credit unions. It has over $642 million in assets and over 25,000 members. We have 3 convenient office locations along with over 110 free ATMs in Houston and the surrounding areas. Learn more at www.hpfcu.org.