High school football reigns in Texas and 2018 will be no exception as talented players line the roster of teams all over the area. But there are some standouts to keep an eye on.
Here are the Defender’s ten players to watch in 2018.
1. Ladarius Owens, RB, Manvel HS – One of the brightest stars on a team loaded with stars that came within an eyelash of winning the 2017 Class 5A Division I state football championship.
2. Tre’Von Mosley, DB, Cy-Fair HS –Had five tackles in the Bobcats’ 51-35 victory over Waco Midway in the 2017 Class 6A Division II state title game.
3. Deondrick Glass, RB, Katy HS – Rushed for more than 1,700 yards as the Tigers’ season ended in the state semifinals. Will have his sights set on the school’s ninth state football championship in his senior year.
4. Malik Hornsby, QB, Austin HS – Led the Mustangs to the playoffs in both his freshman and sophomore seasons. Now SFA is seeking success in the postseason.
5. Frank Brown, RB, Sterling HS – Scoring five touchdowns in a game is the norm rather than the exception for this Ross Shaw Sterling Raider. He’ll have another year following this one.
6. Demond Demas, WR, North Forest HS – He’s the go-to player on one of the Houston area’s most high-powered offenses.
7. Zach Evans, TB/QB, North Shore HS – Carried the load offensively along with freshman quarterback Dematrius Davis last season and more will be expected from him in 2018.
8. Zane Knipe, WR, Lamar HS – One of the top receivers in the state will be a cornerstone of the Texans’ offense in 2018.
9. Devon Achane, RB, Fort Bend Marshall HS – Figures to be a workhorse in 2018 as the Buffalos try to advance past two consecutive failed efforts in the regional finals.
10. Jordan Huffpower, RB, Yates HS – Fit nicely in the Lions’ offense as a complimentary back and should transition well to the role of featured back.