Founded in 1908 byHoward University co-ed Ethel Hedgeman, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority was created to provide a support network for women with like minds coming together for mutual uplift and coalescing their talents and strengths for the benefit of others.
The organization has grown into a force of more than 290,000 collegiate members and alumnae, constituting of 1,007 chapters in 42 states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Bahamas, Germany, Liberia, South Korea, Japan, Canada, South Africa and the Middle East.
The sorority also boasts an accomplished group of honorary AKAs, including Jada Pinkett-Smith, Maya Angelou, Ava DuVernay, Alice Walker, Iyanla Vanzant, Julie Dash, Ella Fitzgerald, Alicia Keys, Gladys Knight, Coretta Scott King, Rosa Parks, C. Delores Tucker, Suzanne de Passe, Cathy Hughes, Dr. Mae Jemison, Lynn Whitfield, Eleanor Roosevelt, Zina Garrison and C. Vivian Stringer.
Members who pledged graduate chapters include Houston Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee and Houston State Rep. Alma Allen.
Here are some notable members who joined while they were undergraduates in college.
- Phylicia Rashad, actress, Howard University
- Loretta Devine, actress, University of Houston
- Kamala Harris, S. senator, Howard University
- Star Jones,Lawyer, TV personality, American University
- Vanessa Bell Calloway, actress, Ohio State University
- Toni Morrison, author, Howard University
- Wanda Sykes, comedian & actress,Hampton University
- Sonia Sanchez, poet, Hunter College
- Cassandra Wilson, jazz musician, Jackson State University
- Sharon Pratt,former mayor of Washington, D.C., Howard University
- Althea Gipson,athlete, Florida A& M University
- Stephanie Elam, CNN reporter, Howard University
- Frederica Wilson,congresswoman, Fisk University
- Jolanda Jones, HISD board member, University of Houston
- Mia Knight Wright,pastor, University of Texas at Austin
- D’Angela Proctor,TV executive, Spelman College
- ReShonda Tate Billingsley, author & journalist, University of Texas at Austin